Cockroaches are common pests the world over. There are around 4,000 species of cockroaches worldwide and about 450 species in Australia, but very few are pests. EPC Enviro Pest Control provide commercial cockroach eradication and prevention management services for clients across Melbourne on a regular basis. These commercial sites include government buildings, aged care facilities, schools, hospitality outlets, market places and more. Cockroaches are found both in commercial and domestic areas.
Cockroach control in Melbourne
The reason cockroaches are so common is because they have adapted to live in a similar environment to humans. The way we live provides them with both food and shelter. Usually they will be in the kitchen and if you find them elsewhere, chances are you have a big infestation.
The most common cockroach species identified in Melbourne that EPC – Enviro Pest Control have encountered are the:
- German Cockroach
- Australian Cockroach
- American Cockroach
- Oriental Cockroach
- Smoky Brown and Brown Banded Cockroach.
No matter the species that is causing you problems, when you partner with us you’ll get a tailored IPM (Integrated Pest Management) plan and EPC will see them on their way. Get further information about our Services on cockroach pest control by contacting us here.
- German Cockroach (Blatella Germanica)
German cockroaches require warmth, moisture and food and may be found wherever these conditions are met. Common areas of infestation include kitchens, pantries, laundries and food processing plants.
German cockroaches breed continually. Their entire life cycle spans approximately 100 days, although this is dependent on factors such as temperature, diet, and injuries. Females carry an egg capsule containing 30 – 48 eggs at the end of their abdomen. When the eggs are close to hatching, the females attach the capsule in a dark corner where the young can emerge safely. It usually takes 28 days for the capsule to hatch from the time it begins to form. This is why follow-up treatment is required 4 weeks after your initial treatment. We have to wait for the egg capsules to hatch.
- Grows up to 12-15mm long
- It is light tan to medium brown in colour
- Prefers warm, moist dark areas (often around refrigerator motors, stoves, dishwashers).
- 2 dark stripes on the back of its head
- Has wings but does not fly
- Hatch in 28 days, nymphs usually develop in 6 weeks, the adult lifespan is 4-6 months
- American Cockroach (Periplaneta Americana)
The American cockroach is one of the largest pest cockroaches to invade homes and commercial properties.
- Grows up to 35-40mm long
- It is shiny red-brown or dark brown in colour
- Prefers warm, moist dark areas especially roof, walls, and sub-floor areas. Its wings are longer than the body in males; but only overlap over the abdomen in females
- Runs (but can fly at very high and hot temperatures)
- Hatch in 1-2 months, nymphs usually develop in 6-15 months, the adult lifespan is 6-12 months
- Australian Cockroach (Periplaneta Australasiae)
- Despite its name, it’s not a native species
- Darkish brown in colour
- It has yellow markings on the upper part of the thorax and the fore margins of the forewings
- 30-35mm long
- Prevalent in the areas where winters are mild
- Hatch in 1-2 months, nymphs usually develop in 6-15 months, the adult lifespan is 4-8 months
- Oriental Cockroach (Blatta Orientalis)
The Oriental cockroaches’ preferred environment is cool, damp areas and are commonly found outdoors, in rubbish tips and leaf litter and in unheated buildings. They may live in yards, in garbage dumps, in flowerbeds and on the outside wall of buildings. Indoors, they may be found in the lower levels of buildings where it is cooler.
- Dark brown or black in colour
- 20-25mm long
- The wings undeveloped in female and cover ¾ length of the abdomen in the male. Do not fly
- Hatch in 2 months, nymphs usually develop in 6-18 months, the adult lifespan is 3-6 months
- Smoky Brown Cockroach (Periplaneta Fuliginosa)
- Lives in tree hollows, under bark, under floors, and enters buildings at night
- It grows up to 3-35 mm long
- It is shiny dark brown in colour
- The wings are longer than the body in males; only just overlap abdomen in females
- It runs but can fly at very high and hot temperatures
- Hatch in 1-3 months, nymphs usually develop in 6-12 months, the adult lifespan is 3-6 months
- Brown Banded Cockroach (Supella Longipalpa)
The Brown Banded Cockroach is one of the smallest pest cockroaches in Australia. Unlike the German cockroach, this species spreads throughout infested premises.
- 15-20mm long
- It prefers warmer temperatures.
- It has yellow-brown stripes across its abdomen
- Hatch in 1-2 months, nymphs usually develop in 2-5 months, the adult lifespan is 3-6 months
Cockroach Breeding and Life Cycle
Like most pests, cockroaches breed from a minor issue into a large problem very quickly. Cockroaches undergo three distinct life phases: egg, nymph, and adult. Females lay egg cases, which contain around twenty to forty eggs. After thirty to forty days these eggs hatch. A female lays up to thirty egg cases in her lifetime and cockroaches can live for up to eight months. Breaking this life cycle at every stage of growth is how EPC – Enviro Pest Control effectively remove cockroaches for our clients.
Cockroach Disease and Contamination
Cockroaches are not just unpleasant to the eye. They are also well-known for carrying germs and spreading disease; most commonly, food poisoning. Cockroaches have been blamed for many cases of food poisoning from the salmonella bacterium they carry and are the root cause for a number of other diseases including, typhoid fever, cholera, gastroenteritis, dysentery, and more. Cockroaches carry worms and can trigger allergy reactions and asthma symptoms to humans. It goes without saying, that it is good to get rid of cockroaches and prevent them from returning as much as possible.
Cockroaches in Commercial Kitchens and Restaurants
In commercial kitchen areas across Melbourne, German cockroaches are the most common species found. They are much smaller, (15–25 mm long), in size than the common cockroaches you might find at home. They are versatile breeders and they prefer to live in dishwashers, fridges and in among stoves and rotisseries as well as the tiniest holes and cracks.
If you are responsible for the cleanliness of a commercial kitchen and have cockroaches, then you must take care of it quickly. EPC – Enviro Pest Control operate in compliance with HACCP guidelines and follow the AEPMA Code of Conduct guidelines and their Code of Practice for ‘Pest Control in the Food Industry’. It is a legal requirement for ALL commercial food preparation areas, food storage and food retail outlets to have an effective IPM (Integrated pest management) plan in place. Contact EPC – Enviro Pest Control for your tailored IPM (Integrated Pest Management) plan.
Signs of Cockroach Infestation
Aside from the obvious shock of spotting a cockroach running across the ground or benchtop, it is possible to tell they are present by locating droppings, cast skins or egg cases. In more severe occurrences, they can even create a foul smell. These tell-tale physical signs are often found under refrigerators, behind sinks, around dishwashers, around bins, in cupboards, in cracks or crevices, or also in bathrooms. Cockroaches tend to be much more active at night. If you see them in the day time you have either disturbed their hiding place or you have a serious cockroach infestation.
The most common signs of cockroach infestation in your home are:
- Cockroach Droppings/Spotting
- Cockroaches can leave behind a smear type trail of tiny black or brown droppings (that can look like ground coffee)
- Egg Capsules
- Eggs are laid in a capsules known as Ootheca. Each capsule contains up to 40 cockroach larvae. They will most commonly be found in cupboards, near drains, along with the garbage or anywhere dark or damp
- Shed Skin
- Throughout their lifetime cockroaches will shed their skin at least 6 or 7 times. You may find shredded skins throughout any dark or damp areas in your home.
- Live cockroaches
Very often if you have a cockroach infestation in your property you will also detect live cockroaches. They are nocturnal so are most likely to be seen at night when you turn on the lights in your kitchen, bathroom, or other areas.
Fun Facts about Cockroaches
Cockroaches are unsightly and there are many unusual facts about them, some of which are a bit disturbing. Just for fun, here are a few facts:
- One female German Cockroach can produce up to 20,000 young annually
- Cockroaches can hold their breath for forty minutes
- A cockroach can live for a week without its head
- American cockroaches are more attracted to alcohol, especially beer
- The largest cockroaches are in South America and can be 15 centimetres long
- Cockroaches can survive a nuclear explosion
Why choose EPC – Enviro Pest Control?
EPC – Enviro Pest Control is a reliable, affordable, and trusted family owned and run company. If you live in Melbourne and have a cockroach problem of any size call us now.
- We use chemicals that are HACCP compliant
- EPC – Enviro Pest Control staff are Trained Specialists and are very experienced at getting rid of cockroaches
- We arrive on time
- EPC – Enviro Pest Control staff are discreet, friendly and professionally presented
- Fairly priced service with advice to prevent cockroaches coming back
EPC – Enviro Pest Control’s pest management methods including cockroaches are effective and we are committed to keeping your building cockroach-free!
If you need to speak to a professional about Cockroach Treatments in Melbourne, call 03 9988 5066 now.